Chicken drumsticks haven’t been a particular favourite food in our house – until now.
Ever on the lookout for a bargain, I had bought some drumsticks on special offer a while back and stuck them in the freezer. The challenge was to come up with something tasty to do with them. I browsed a few websites and saw a recipe on Delia’s site that used maple syrup. I thought that was quite interesting but I didn’t have the majority of the other ingredients that the recipe needed. So I made up my own version – completely different!
The resulting flavour is sweet but smokey and they are nice and sticky – good finger-licking food.
These drumsticks are cooked in the oven, but you could finish them off on the BBQ instead (for the last 10 minutes of cooking, instead of the step below where you turn the oven up). That would probably make them even stickier!
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Jack Daniels (or any other bourbon you have)
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sambal Olek (hot chilli paste)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 spring (green) onions, finely chopped
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and then toss in the chicken.
- Stir to completely coat the chicken then cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray – this will keep the marinade off your tray and make cleaning up a lot easier!
- Put the chicken on the tray but leave the excess marinade in the bowl to use for glazing the chicken during the cooking.
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F.
- Bake for 50 minutes, turning the chicken and also glazing with the marinade a couple of times. (Use up all the marinade or dispose of it – do not eat it without cooking it as it has been in contact with the raw chicken.)
- Turn up the oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F and cook the chicken for another 10 minutes. This will make the chicken nice and sticky. (If you want to use the BBQ grill to finish the chicken then do this instead of using the oven at this point.)
- Serve with a mixed salad and crusty bread, or your choice of potatoes.