My spousal unit requested that I cook seafood for our New Year’s Eve dinner. That request always presents me with a problem as she doesn’t like fish (except salmon), so I have to look for recipes that feature crab or shrimp (prawns for you Aussies). Bored with crab cakes and shrimp scampi I found this recipe from the FoodTV network and adapted it for what was in the cupboard.
The topping is based on American biscuits, (close to scones for Aussies), which are made with baking mix. In the USA that means we reach for a product called Bisquick. If you can’t find that in the shops then here is how to make it:
Ingredients for Bisquick equivalent:
- 8 cups all-purpose/plain flour (or 4 cups each all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups dry non-fat milk
- 2 cups shortening
Method for Bisquick equivalent:
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar, baking soda, non-fat milk, and shortening together in large bowl. (If you have a large mixer it is ideal to use for blending this mix but it can also be done quite adequately using a pastry blender to cut in shortening).
- Add shortening about a half cup at a time mixing well after each addition. Mixture will be mealy when mixed adequately.
- Put in an air-tight container and store either in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Use within about 3 months.
The pie itself was a big hit with the spousal unit, so here is how I made it:
Ingredients for Seafood Pot Pie:
Seafood pie filling:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all purpose/plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 3/4 cup milk (I used 2 % to fool me into thinking it was lower in calories!)
- 1 lb (5oog) medium fresh shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- 1 lb (500g) lump crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Cheesy biscuit topping:
- 2 cups baking mix (or equivalent – see above)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
Method for Seafood Pot Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Lightly grease a 2qt oven safe dish. Place on a baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms and cook 6 – 8 minutes until vegetables are softened (not brown).
- Stir in flour and cook 2 mins stirring constantly.
- Stir in creole seasoning, sherry and cheese.
- Stir in milk and cook 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add crab and shrimp, stir to mix.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- To make the cheesy biscuit topping, mix dry ingredients and cheese in a medium bowl, then gradually stir in milk until dry ingredients are moist.
- Spoon the biscuit mix evenly across the top of the fish mix.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then brush the melted butter over the biscuit topping.
- Return to oven and cook until biscuit topping is golden brown, about 3o minutes.
Serve with a salad and a nice bottle of chardonnay (or two). We opened a California chardonnay from Rombauer.