Everybody loves chocolate cake, so when I had to make some cupcakes for a work fundraiser for the victims of the terrible Queensland floods this was the natural choice.
To create these cupcakes I have adapted the easy chocolate cake recipe of Jenny from Picky Palate, (Jenny is a fanatic baker with some great ideas!), adding chopped Morello Cherries to the mix and then topping off with either chocolate frosting or cherry-flavoured butter icing.
Ingredients – makes 24 cupcakes:
- 1 box of Devil’s Food Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 bag/box chocolate instant pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Morello cherries, chopped (I used cherries from a jar)
Optional Cherry-Flavoured Butter Icing:
- 125g/4oz unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2-3 teaspoons cherry juice (from the jar of cherries used above)
- Heat your oven to 180C/fan forced 160C/350F.
- Put paper cupcake liners into the holes of two 12 cup muffin pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, oil, water, sour cream, pudding mix and eggs. Beat until smooth. (You can use an electric mixer if you want, but beating the mix by hand is not too hard!)
- Gently fold in the chopped Morello cherries.
- Put a heaped dessert-spoon of mix into each cup of the muffin pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle cupcake in the pan comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Then put on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Ice the cupcakes with either the ready-made chocolate frosting that comes in the box with the cake mix (if your brand does frosting like Betty Crocker), or with home-made cherry-flavoured butter icing.
- To make the cherry-flavoured butter icing, beat together the softened butter and icing sugar in a small bowl. Then add the cherry juice gradually until the icing reaches your desired consistency.