It’s Shrove Tuesday today – otherwise known as Pancake Day! We aren’t religious by any means, but we thought we would have some pancakes for dinner tonight. Why not?!
When it comes to pancakes, there are quite a lot of variations to pick from. I found this recipe on Jessica’s great blog, How Sweet It Is. Jessica makes some fantastic things – most of which will rapidly expand your waistline! These pancakes have a great hint of cinnamon to them, plus all the goodness of cherries. Those cherries are enough fruit to pretend that the pancakes are healthy!
I must admit that I didn’t take any photos when I was cooking these pancakes – we were eating them too quickly and the camera didn’t even get switched on…..so if you want to see one of Jessica’s amazing photos then click here.
Here is my adapted version of Jessica’s recipe – mainly adapted because I simply didn’t have the same ingredients in the pantry:
Ingredients – serves 3 people (or 4 not very hungry people):
- 2 cups plain/all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup Morello cherries (I used cherries from a jar).
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a jug, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla essence.
- Mix together the wet and the dry ingredients and whisk until most lumps are gone.
- To cook, heat a non-stick frying pan (sprayed with some cooking spray) on medium heat and pour in 1/4 cup of batter.
- Drop a few cherries in the batter while each pancake is cooking.
- Flip once tiny bubbles appear on the pancakes.
- Cook for about 30 seconds more, or until the pancakes lift easily and are lightly golden on both sides.
- Enjoy with more cherries and even some cream!