As I think I’ve said before, pasta with a creamy sauce is one of my favourites. Carbonara fits that bill perfectly. I used to make this all the time as a quick weeknight dinner, but for some reason I haven’t made it for years. It’s time for it to make a comeback.
One of the great things about this is that it doesn’t have too many ingredients. The recipe is also easily multiplied if you have more than 2 people wanting to eat it.
Ingredients – serves 2:
- 250g/9oz dried spaghetti (or any other long pasta)
- 150g/5oz bacon bits (or chop some rashers into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup thickened/heavy cream
- 100g/3.5oz grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- black pepper, to serve
- Cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions in a large pan of salted, boiling water. It should take about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a small frying pan until browned.
- Whisk together the cream and eggs in a jug, then stir in the grated cheese.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain off the majority of the water but leave a little in the pan.
- Keeping the pan off the heat, add the bacon and also the cream & egg mixture.
- Toss the pasta until the bacon and sauce are well distributed.
- Put onto your plates and then sprinkle with black pepper.
- Serve with some garlic bread and enjoy!