What better excuse to have an indulgent morning or afternoon tea than tomorrow’s Royal Wedding? Not that I am usually interested in the British Royal family, but it is a good opportunity to share food with friends! These scones will make a great addition to any gathering.
And a great thing is that these scones really couldn’t be simpler – just 3 ingredients, (well, 5 if you count the jam and whipped cream that are the perfect accompaniments!), and they only take minutes to make.
Ingredients – makes approx 16 scones:
- 2 and a half cups self raising flour
- 150ml/5 fl oz thickened (heavy) cream
- 185ml/6fl oz diet lemon & lime soda (or you could use diet lemonade)
- fruit jam (jelly) and whipped cream, to serve
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan forced/430F.
- Put the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Mix the cream and the soda in a jug.
- Pour the cream & soda into the bowl with the flour, then mix well using a flat bladed knife until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough very slightly whilst it is still in the bowl – but don’t handle too much or the scones will be tough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and then roll the dough out until it is 1.5cm/0.5in thick.
- Use a 6cm/2.5in round cutter (or a drinking glass) to cut out the scones.
- Place the scones on a non-stick baking tray that has been sprayed with a little cooking spray. Tip: place the scones right next to each other as this helps them rise.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favourite jam and some whipped cream – enjoy!