On the weekend one neighbour gave me a bag of lemons, and another neighbour gave me a dozen eggs from his chickens. My husband then gave me a challenge to make something with them. Lemon Meringue Pie was an obvious choice – but I didn’t need to use all the lemons or all the eggs!
This is my first attempt at this kind of pie – I think it turned out pretty well. I got the original recipe from a card that was part of a set that I got from somewhere, but the method wasn’t really complete so I had to fill in the gaps!
One of the good things about this recipe is that, even though you have to separate the eggs, you use both the yolks and the whites in this pie. I quite often find that when I separate eggs I end up with one or the other part in the fridge and never use it!
- 250g/9oz Arnotts Granita biscuits (or plain digestive biscuits)
- 75g/2.5oz unsalted butter, melted
- finely grated rind and juice of 3 large lemons (or 5 small lemons)
- 4 tbspn cornflour
- 450ml/0.75pint boiling water
- 50g/2oz sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 100g/4oz sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Icing sugar, sifted, to serve
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor, or use a rolling pin. Put in a medium bowl.
- Mix the biscuit crumbs with the melted butter until combined.
- Spray an ovenproof flan dish (23cm/9in diameter) with cooking spray, then press the biscuit crumb onto the base of the dish and up the sides.
- Heat the oven to 170C/150C fan forced/325F.
- To make the filling, mix together the lemon rind, juice and cornflour in a medium saucepan.
- Stir enough of the boiling water into the mixture in the saucepan to make a smooth paste, then add the remainder of the boiling water and stir until combined.
- Cook the filling over a low heat, stirring, until thickend.
- Add the sugar and stir. Remove from the heat when combined.
- Cool the filling slightly (in the saucepan, about 10 minutes), then beat in the egg yolks.
- Pour the filling into the flan dish, and carefully spread over the crumb base.
- To make the meringue, put the egg whites into a clean, dry bowl and beat with an electric whisk until you have soft peaks.
- Gradually whisk in the sugar, then add the vanilla essence.
- Whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the meringue over the lemon filling. (Tip: spread the meringue right up to the crumb sides – this helps to prevent the meringue from shrinking.)
- Bake for 40 minutes, then turn off the oven, open the door a small crack and leave the pie in the cooling oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely (in the dish).
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Sift over the icing sugar just before you cut into slices.