This recipe has been passed on (indirectly) to me from an Auntie in my extended family, and it is very easy to make. That is why I have given it this name!
The magic ingredient is a jar of Fruit Mince (the tasty filling that is usually reserved for mince pies at Christmas) – I use Robertson’s but you can use any brand that you like.
Judging by some comments that have been made, I think my husband now wants me to make this cake every week!
- 225g/8oz self raising flour
- 140g/5oz sugar
- 140g/5oz soft margarine
- 410g/14oz jar Fruit Mince
- 85g/3oz mixed dried fruit (or just sultanas if you prefer)
- 3 eggs
- 25g/1oz flaked almonds, optional, to top
- Heat the oven to 170C/150C fan forced/340F.
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well blended.
- Put the batter into a deep non-stick 18cm/7in springform pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. (You can line the base with greaseproof paper if you want.)
- If using, sprinkle the flaked almonds on top of mixture.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, then cover the pan with some aluminium foil (to prevent over-browning).
- Cook for another 1 hour and 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when the middle of the cake is tested.
- Leave to cool in the pan then turn out.