I created this cake to enter the Lurpak Butter Challenge – a recipe competition to find great ways to use Lurpak Butter. The competition is just about to enter the judging phase, so I will let you know how I get on.
- 200g/7oz Lurpak Butter (unsalted variety), softened
- 200g/7oz white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 150g/5oz plain flour
- 50g/2oz self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon white rum (e.g. Barcardi or Malibu)
- 2 teaspoons coconut cream
- 200g/7oz pineapple pieces (drained if from a can – reserve the juice to make the icing)
Pineapple Buttercream Icing:
- 125g/4oz Lurpak Butter (unsalted variety), softened
- 250g/9oz pure icing sugar, sifted
- 4 teaspoons pineapple juice
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan forced/320F.
- Grease and line a 18cm/7in round cake tin.
- Beat the Lurpak Butter and the sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg is added.
- Sift in the flours, then fold in the rum, coconut cream and pineapple pieces.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes, testing during the last ten minutes to see whether a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack until completely cool.
- To make the icing, beat the Lurpak Butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar, continuing to beat as you add. Finally add the pineapple juice and beat well.
- Once the cake is cooled, spread over the icing and serve.