Sometimes there is nothing better than a big, chunky pie. A while ago I made a Steak, Ale and Mushroom Pie so this time I thought I would go for chicken instead.
This is the kind of pie for which you can use whatever ingredients you have rather than following the recipe to the letter. That is how I came up with it – I took some things out of the fridge and just threw them all together!
Ingredients – serves 4-6 people:
- 1 tbsp oil, for cooking
- 500g/1 lb chicken thigh meat, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 150g/5 oz diced bacon pieces
- 150g/5 oz button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 chicken stock cube (I used a chicken Oxo cube)
- 200g/7 oz (half a can) Campbell’s Condensed Chicken soup
- 50ml/2 fl oz milk
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 50g/2 oz grated cheddar cheese
- black pepper and dried mixed herbs, to season
- 2 sheets (25cm/10in square) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- small amount of milk, to glaze
- In a large deep frying pan, heat the oil over a medium/high heat and then add the chicken chunks.
- Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes until just starting to brown all over, then remove to a plate.
- Add the onion to the frying pan and cook for about 3 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Then add the bacon to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes or starting to colour.
- Next throw in the mushrooms and the diced carrot and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Put the chicken back in the pan and crumble over the chicken stock cube. Stir to mix and then cook for a minute.
- Mix together the condensed chicken soup, milk and seasoning in a jug and then add to the pan and stir.
- Finally add the peas, stir to combine and then remove from the heat and allow the filling to cool (15-30 minutes is ideal).
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Spray a 18cm/7in springform pan with some cooking spray, and then use 1 sheet of pastry to line the base and sides. Ensure that any joins are well sealed.
- Spoon in the pie filling, sprinkle with the grated cheese and then top with the remaining sheet of pastry to make the lid.
- Crimp the edges with a fork to ensure a good seal, then make a small incision in the centre of the top of the pie to let steam out.
- Glaze the top of the pie with a little milk.
- Sit the springform pan on a baking tray and then bake for 30 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.