I came up with this recipe just after I woke up this morning, cooked it for breakfast and knew I just had to share.
These are creamy baked eggs with some ham, cherry tomatoes, green capsicum (bell pepper) and Mexican chilli powder added to give a great flavour. Teamed up with some toasted tortillas, these make a great breakfast or brunch. Another good thing is that they are quick and easy to make.
The cooking time given below results in a perfectly runny egg yolk, but if you don’t like your yolks that way just give them a couple more minutes in the oven.
Ingredients – serves 2:
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 green capsicum (bell pepper), finely chopped
- 25g/1 oz sliced ham, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp cream
- sprinkling of Mexican chilli powder, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 2 tortillas, toasted, to serve
- Heat your oven to 190C/170C fan forced/370F.
- Spray two small ovenproof dishes (ramekins are fine) with cooking spray.
- Divide your tomatoes, green capsicum and ham between the two dishes.
- Crack an egg into each dish, being careful not to break the yolk.
- Top each dish with 1 tbsp cream, a sprinkling of the Mexican chilli powder and some black pepper.
- Get a baking tray that is deep enough to sit your ovenproof dishes in and then fill the tray with boiling water so that the water comes half way up the ovenproof dishes.
- Carefully put into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your toasted tortillas.