This cake has an unusual secret ingredient. See if you can guess what it is.
I made this cake a couple of months ago for a competition and it turned out so well that I have been waiting for an opportunity to share it with you.
Have you guessed what the secret ingredient is yet? Tomato soup. Yes, you read that correctly. I never would have thought that a cake made with soup could be sweet but this is, and it also has a wonderfully moist texture. The cream cheese frosting is the perfect topping – it’s easy to make too.
When I told my friends that the cake they were enjoying so much had tomato soup in it they didn’t believe it.
Ingredients – serves 10 easily:
50g/2 oz unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup (heaped) cocoa powder
420g/15 oz can condensed tomato soup (I used Heinz ‘Big Red’)
3/4 teaspoon red food colouring (optional)
250g/9 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cups icing (powdered) sugar, sifted
2 tbsp finely grated milk chocolate, to decorate
Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F.
- Grease a 23cm/9 inch spring-form pan with a little butter, or coat with some spray oil.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until combined.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cocoa powder in a separate bowl.
- Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir, then add a third of the tomato soup.
- Repeat the above step, alternating until all the flour and soup are mixed in.
- Stir in the red food colouring, if using.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared pan and then bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Once cooked, leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, put the cream cheese in a large bowl and beat until smooth. Then stir in the icing (powdered) sugar until combined.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with the grated chocolate.
- Serve and enjoy!