These little bites are full of blueberry goodness.
I think muffins are a great breakfast treat and these are very low guilt. However, the fact that they are bite size means that it is very hard to eat just one, or even two…
Another thing that makes this recipe good for mornings is that it is very quick to make, not to mention simple. The ingredients can be mixed in one bowl, (although I use one bowl and a jug 🙂 ), with no electric mixer required.
I used frozen blueberries which I thawed, but you could use any type of berry that you have. Just give any bigger berries a bit of a chop to make sure they fit in your pan.
If you don’t have a mini muffin (24-hole) pan then the cooking time will need to be adjusted to about 20 minutes for a normal 12-hole pan. Any left-over muffins will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Ingredients – makes 24 bite-size muffins:
- 100g/3.5oz plain (all purpose) flour
- 75g/2.5oz wholemeal flour
- 100g/3.5oz brown sugar
- 50g/2oz rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 150ml/5 fl oz milk
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (from a bottle is fine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or extract
- approx 200g/7 oz blueberries, thawed and drained if you are using frozen berries
- a little icing (powdered) sugar, sifted, to decorate, optional
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F and spray a 24-hole mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and bicarb), ensuring that there are no lumps of sugar remaining.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add the liquid from the jug to the dry ingredients in the bowl and stir to combine.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter. It dooesn’t matter if you squash a few in the process.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into your prepared muffin pan – all the holes will be filled to the brim.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle muffin comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Serve dusted with some icing sugar if you like.