This is a very simple dessert – no ice cream machine required.
If you love cookies and ice cream then you’ll love this, especially considering that it contains only 5 ingredients and takes under 15 minutes to mix up. How quickly you can eat it after that depends on how long your freezer takes to solidify it 🙂
I used Oreo cookies to make this, but they are pretty smashed up so if you have a different favourite cookie then just swap them. And if strawberry isn’t your ice cream of choice then just change the flavour of the syrup – chocolate or even caramel would work just as well.
I adapted the recipe from one that I found in the February 2013 issue of Recipes+ magazine.
Ingredients – serves 6:
150g/5 oz chocolate cookies (I used a pack of Oreos)
- 1 and 1/2 cups thickened (heavy/double) cream
- 395g/14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup strawberry syrup/sauce, plus extra for drizzling
- Grease a 23cm/9 inch ring pan (preferably with a loose base). If you don’t have a ring pan then you can use a round spring-form pan instead.
- Use a rolling pin to crush the cookies into crumbs. It doesn’t matter if there are still some chunks but don’t leave anything too big.
- Sprinkle half the cookie crumbs over the base of the prepared pan.
- Put the cream and condensed milk in a large bowl and then beat until soft peaks form. If you have an electric mixer or beater then this will only take a few moments.
- Stir the vanilla essence and strawberry syrup through the cream.
- Put the strawberry cream into the prepared pan, being careful not to disturb the cookie crumb in the base of the pan. Use a spatula to level the surface.
- Scatter the remaining cookie crumbs over the top of the cream and then use your hand to press the crumbs very slightly to ensure they all make contact with the cream.
- Cover the pan with cling wrap and then freeze for at least 4 hours or until solid.
- Remove from the freezer and carefully run a flat-bladed knife around the pan to loosen the cake. If your house is cool then leave the pan on the kitchen bench for a few minutes to let the ice cream soften.
- Turn out onto a serving plate and then drizzle with some extra strawberry syrup.
- Serve and enjoy!