These take minutes to make but taste amazing.
Cupcakes are something that I don’t make very often as I just don’t have the patience to bake them, wait for them to cool, make frosting and then try to get the frosting to look decent on the cupcakes. However, this recipe is perfect as it is a true cheat’s version using a box cake mix and ready made frosting 🙂
Despite the fact that I only used the cheapest vanilla cake mix from my supermarket, (I think it was $0.80!), these taste as good as cupcakes that I have bought from a bakery. Maybe they cheat too?
These can be made with any vanilla, plain or butter cake mix that you have in your pantry. You could even go gluten free if you can get a suitable mix and frosting.
Ingredients – makes 12:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 box/packet vanilla cake mix
- 1/2 tub (approx 200g/7 oz) vanilla ready made frosting
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, to decorate
- Heat your oven to 190C/170C fan forced/370F.
- Line the holes of a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake/patty papers.
- Put the oil, water, coffee, sour cream and egg into a large jug and whisk with a fork until the coffee disolves.
- Put the cake mix into a large bowl then stir in the liquid from the jug. Mix until combined.
- Divide the cupcake batter between the 12 patty papers.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the centre cupcakes are risen and just firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled, spread over the ready made frosting.
- Sieve cocoa powder over the top of the frosted cupcakes for that true cappuccino look.
- Serve and enjoy!