You can put this dinner together using items mainly from your pantry.
Struggling to find appealing fresh ingredients in your kitchen? This recipe is ideal as you can adapt it according to what you do have in your pantry or fridge. I used fresh mushrooms and broccoli in my version, (neither of which need pre-cooking for this dish), but if you only have canned goods then sweetcorn kernels or even asparagus spears would work equally as well.
Tuna is not something that I have used a lot in the past as my husband has never been keen to eat it until now. However, the can that I did have in the cupboard was from a sustainable source and caught by pole and line rather than drift nets. If you are able to spend the extra couple of dollars then please consider it when you are in the supermarket next. I watched a TV show a while ago that showed how the super trawlers pick up every piece of sea life in their path and it wasn’t good viewing 😦
If you don’t need a batch as big as this to feed your family on one evening then any left-overs can be stored in an airtight container and eaten for lunch over the next couple of days. It is equally delicious cold or hot.
Ingredients – serves 6:
300g/10 oz dried spiral pasta
- about 300g/10 oz canned tuna in springwater, drained
- 250g/9 oz small button mushrooms, halved
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets (make them bite-sized)
- 420g/15 oz can Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups grated cheese (I used Tasty, which is similar to cheddar)
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Spray a large ovenproof dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of salted boiling water according to the pack instructions. This will take about 11 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the tuna, mushrooms, broccoli, soup, sour cream and 1/2 cup of the cheese in a large heatproof bowl. Season well with black pepper. Mix well (the tuna will flake up whilst you stir).
- Drain the pasta and add to the bowl. Stir to mix with the other ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to the ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the remaining 1 cup of cheese and then season with a little more pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!