Why buy take away pizza when you can make this?
I was searching the fridge yesterday for something tasty to eat for lunch when I remembered that I had picked up some salami and feta on special at the supermarket deli. Pizza was the first thing that jumped into my mind, but I didn’t want to wait ages for the dough to prove to make the base.
Enter my super simple and speedy base recipe which has three basic ingredients, (self-raising flour, olive oil and water), plus any extra seasonings or herbs that you want to add depending on the end flavour result that you are looking for. The cooked base is light in texture, a little bit like thin focaccia bread. If you like your base to be crispy then add a couple of minutes to the cooking time.
With regards to other toppings I raided the various jars that I had in the fridge – sun dried tomatoes and sliced black olives, plus some basil pesto as the sauce. The result tasted just as good as anything I have bought from a take away pizza place.
If you don’t like any of the toppings then substitute for something you do like. To keep the time down, pick items which don’t require pre-cooking.
Ingredients – serves 4:
1 and 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- approx 3 tbsp basil pesto
- 85g/3 oz salami, roughly chopped
- 1 small green capsicum (bell pepper), finely chopped
- 8 sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- sprinkling of sliced black olives
- 85g/3 oz feta cheese, diced into small cubes
- fresh basil leaves, optional, to serve
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Spray a pizza pan or baking tray with a little cooking spray.
- Put the flour, oil, water, oregano, pepper and salt into a medium bowl and use a flat bladed knife to mix. Once the dough comes together, use your lightly floured hands to knead it for a few seconds until it is smooth. If it is a little sticky then add a tiny bit more flour.
- Form the dough into a disc and then shape this into your pizza base. (My pizza pan is 30cm/12 inches round and this recipe makes a nice thin base at that size.)
- Spread the basil pesto in a thin layer over the base.
- Scatter over the salami, green capsicum (bell pepper), sun dried tomatoes, olives and feta.
- Cook for 16 minutes or until the base is cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and scatter over fresh basil leaves, if using, just before serving.