This slice is super simple to make.
The ingredients take less than 5 minutes to mix together and then, after about an hour or so in the fridge to chill, hey presto, a nearly instant afternoon treat. I know that the flavour combination may sound a little strange to some people but the result really is delicious. Sweet with a little savoury, plus great texture from the rice bubbles and the scattered chocolate chips.
I think the slice would be ideal for lunchboxes but I don’t know whether school rules about nuts might outlaw it. I’m not sure because I don’t have any kids – just a husband who is eating this as though he is a kid 🙂
This will easily keep in the fridge for quite a few days after you make it. If you can manage to keep your family away from it for that long.
I adapted a recipe that I found in the May 2013 issue of Recipes+ magazine.
Ingredients – makes about 30 pieces:
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (or use milk chocolate if you prefer)
- 4 cups puffed rice cereal (I call them rice bubbles)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup honey (I used my supermarket’s own brand)
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- few squares milk chocolate, melted, optional, to decorate
- Line a 30cm x 20cm (12 inch x 8 inch) slice pan with baking paper.
- Place the white choc chips and the rice bubbles into a large bowl and stir to mix.
- Place the sugar and honey in a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir for a few minutes until the sugar dissolves and the honey becomes runny.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the peanut butter until smooth.
- Pour the honey peanut butter mixture over the cereal and then quickly stir to ensure that all the rice bubbles are coated.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared pan and spread it out into the corners. Press lightly all over to level the surface.
- Place into the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and drizzle over the melted milk chocolate, if using. Put back into the fridge for 15 minutes or until the chocolate is set.
- Remove the slice from the pan and pull off the baking paper. Cut into about 30 pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!