Weeknight food doesn’t have to be boring.
This is such a tasty meal but it takes less than 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish. If you are speedy at chopping your vegetables then you might even be able to squeeze it into 15 minutes.
Another great thing about this is the low number of ingredients. I used frozen cooked and peeled cocktail prawns as they require zero preparation – you don’t even have to thaw them first! As always, feel free to add your favourite Asian ingredients if you have them handy. For example, some canned water chestnuts would add extra texture.
Sweet chilli sauce gives the majority of the flavour to this dish so, as long as you buy a mild brand, I think this would be suitable for most members of the family. If you do like more heat then add a finely chopped long red chilli – or two – at the the same time that you add the ginger to the pan.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 450g/16 oz fresh thin hokkien noodles
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, optional
- 2cm/1 inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g/9 oz frozen cooked and peeled cocktail prawns
- 1/3 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 medium red capsicum (bell pepper), thinly sliced
- 2 spring (green/salad) onions, thinly sliced
- handful cashew nuts, optional, finely chopped
- Soak the noodles in boiling water for a couple of minutes, or prepare as per the packet instructions. Drain and separate all the noodles.
- Heat the oils in a wok over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger then cook for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add the prawns to the pan and toss to coat in the oil. Cook for a minute or until the prawns are just starting to thaw.
- Add the capsicum (bell pepper), sweet chilli sauce and soy sauce. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce comes to the boil.
- Add the noodles, spring onions and cashews (if using). Toss to mix all the ingredients.
- Cook for a minute to bring all the flavours together.
- Serve with extra sweet chilli sauce.