If your family likes spaghetti bolognaise then you should try this recipe.
Spaghetti, or in fact any kind of pasta, is always a favourite dinner in our house. I love that it is easy and quick to cook. It is also very flexible because you can add many different flavours in the form of a sauce.
For this recipe the spaghetti is cooked just to the point of al dente in a saucepan of water. It is then mixed with the sauce and baked in the oven for about 20 minutes. The result is that the spaghetti picks up the taste of your sauce – yum 🙂
I’ve designed this recipe so that the majority of the ingredients can be substituted for something else. I used pork mince (ground), but if you prefer beef or even turkey then use it. The chorizo and olives can also be changed – perhaps diced red capsicum (bell pepper) and sweetcorn instead?
This makes enough to serve 4 people with a little left over for lunch. If you need to stretch it to feed 6 then add some garlic bread and a green salad.
Ingredients – serves 4-6:
approx 300g/10.5 oz dried spaghetti
- 1 tbsp oil, olive or vegetable
- 500g/ 1 lb pork mince (ground), or other mince of your choice
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 chorizo sausage (approx 125g/4 oz), diced
- 3 cups tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- small handful fresh parsley leaves, chopped, plus a few extra to serve
- 1/4 cup black olives, pitted and finely sliced
- black pepper, to season
- 1 cup cheese, grated (I used Tasty, which is like cheddar)
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the spaghetti. Cook for about 4 minutes or until just al dente. Drain out the water and then tip the spaghetti into a large ovenproof dish.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the mince (ground) and cook, stirring to break up any lumps, until browned.
- Add the onion, garlic and chorizo to the pan, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the chorizo is lightly browned.
- Add the tomato passata, herbs, olives and a good seasoning of black pepper. Stir to combine all the ingredients into the sauce.
- Carefully pour the sauce over the spaghetti. Use tongs or a large spoon to mix and coat the spaghetti in the sauce.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the pasta.
- Put in the oven and cook for 18-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden.
- Once cooked, sprinkle over a few extra parsley leaves and a little more black pepper just before serving.