These are so easy to make.
Finding new ways to cheat at making cupcakes is becoming a bit of a favourite past-time of mine, as you may have noticed 🙂
To make the caramel flavour in these little beauties I simply melted some Nestle Caramel Bits. I think that I am starting to prefer these to chocolate chips, even though previously I didn’t actually like caramel. It proves that everyone’s taste change over time I suppose.
In addition to the cupcake batter being easy to mix, I also like not having to mess around too much with frosting (as I have said multiple times before). If you want to make your own frosting then be my guest, but the ready-made stuff is perfectly fine for this purpose. And after all, they wouldn’t really be cheat’s cupcakes without it.
Ingredients – makes 12 cupcakes:
- 1/3 cup caramel chips
- 1/4 cup milk, plus a little extra
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1 packet (340g/12 oz) vanilla cake mix (I used my supermarket’s own brand)
ready-made vanilla frosting, to decorate
- your favourite caramel flavoured candy, to decorate (I used chopped jersey caramels)
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F.
- Line 12 holes of a muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- Place the caramel chips and 1/4 cup of milk into a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir until the caramel chips melt. Remove from the heat.
- Place the oil in a measuring jug then add the melted caramel mixture. Add a little more milk to make up to 1 cup in total.
- Add the sour cream to the jug and whisk to combine with the oil and caramel milk.
- Place the cake mix into a medium bowl. Add the beaten egg plus the liquid from the jug and then mix with a fork until smooth.
- Carefully divide the batter between the cupcake papers in the pan.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes – the time taken will depend on the depth of the cupcake papers that you are using. They are cooked when a skewer inserted into one of the centre cakes comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, spread a little frosting over the top of each cupcake. Decorate with your caramel candy.
- Serve and enjoy!