If you love pizza and burgers, how about mixing the two?
These burgers have the delicious taste of a pepperoni and mushroom pizza but in a perfect format for the BBQ. I must admit that the mozzarella does tend to melt out of the patty, but that just adds to the flavour 🙂
To make these I chopped up some pepperoni sausage into small pieces but if you only have sliced pepperoni you can still use it. Either put the slices into the mixture whole for an extra pepperoni kick, (which I actually think would work pretty well), or chop them up.
As with pizzas, you can adjust the other ingredients to your liking. Next time I’m going to add chopped black olives and green capsicum (bell pepper).
This makes 6 medium burgers, but is probably better for 4 larger ones. I dolloped each burger with extra tomato ketchup and also some mayonnaise and that was perfect.
Ingredients – makes 4/6:
500g/1 lb beef mince (ground)
- 50g/2 oz pepperoni, finely chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, finely diced
- 4 small button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 50g/2 oz mozzarella, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup, plus extra to serve
- bread rolls, to serve
- salad leaves, to serve
- mayonnaise, optional, to serve
- Put the beef, pepperoni, onion, mushrooms, mozzarella, oregano and tomato ketchup into a large bowl and use your clean hands to mix well.
- Form the mixture into patties and place on a plate. Cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or overnight if you have time). This helps the burgers to hold together on the grill.
- Heat your well-greased BBQ grill to medium-high then cook the burgers for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Serve on bread rolls filled with a few salad leaves and topped with extra ketchup and mayonnaise, if using.