This tasty bake will feed a crowd very cheaply.
I love one pot meals, especially when they make enough to feed a small army. It feels great to know that I will have left-overs for lunches during the week. The fact that there is only 2 people in our house, (and that 1 of those isn’t a huge rice fan), means that I will get plenty of this all to myself 🙂
This is one of those dishes in which you can include plenty of vegetables without the picky eaters in your family complaining. I used red capsicum (bell pepper), sweetcorn kernels and also peas, all of which give lovely bursts of flavour throughout the rice. Extra items you could add to this include mushrooms, diced carrot and even spinach. If you want to increase the protein then add bacon or chorizo.
You will need quite a big dish to make this in – I used my 5 litre/quart cast iron ‘french’ pan as that is suitable for use both on the stovetop and in the oven. It also has a lid.
I adapted a recipe that I found in the July 2013 issue of Super Food Ideas magazine.
Ingredients: – serves 8:
- 1 tbsp oil, vegetable or olive
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs (or dried oregano instead)
- 500g/1 lb beef mince (ground)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 beef stock cubes (I used Oxo cubes)
- 2 heaped cups long grain rice
- 6 cups water
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 200g/7 oz sweetcorn kernels
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup grated cheese
- fresh parsley leaves, optional, to serve
- Put the oil in your dish (see above for requirements). Place on the stovetop over a medium-high heat and add the onion, garlic and herbs. Cook for a couple of minutes or until the onion just starts to soften.
- Add the beef mince to the pan and cook, stirring often to break up any lumps, until the beef is browned.
- Add the soy sauce and crumble in the beef stock cubes. Stir to mix.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir to mix. Cook for a minute then add the water. (This may look like a lot of water but don’t worry, it will all be absorbed.)
- Put the lid on the pan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. When boiling, turn the heat down to medium and simmer (covered) for 12 minutes or until the majority of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F.
- Season the rice mixture with a good amount of black pepper, then stir in the red capsicum, sweetcorn kernels, peas and half the cheese.
- Flatten the top of the rice mixture then sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to sit for 5 minutes before serving topped with fresh parsley leaves, if you have them.