This slice is an easy sweet treat.
If you like chocolate, caramel and marshmallow then this slice is perfect for you. I must admit that it is very sweet but there is nothing wrong with that 🙂
This recipe requires very little effort and minimal time in the oven. It does need at least a couple of hours to chill in the fridge so the caramel can set – I actually think that it it tastes best after being in the fridge overnight so recommend that if you have time.
You can use home-made caramel if you like, but the stuff in the tin is very convenient and perfectly tasty.
I adapted this recipe from one I found in the September 2013 issue of Taste.com.au magazine.
Ingredients – makes 24-30 pieces:
- 125g/4.5 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain (all purpose) flour
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (small ones work best, if you have them)
- 1 can (380g/13.5 oz) Nestle Top N Fill caramel
- 24-30 white vanilla marshmallows
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F.
- Grease a 20cm x 30 cm (8 inch x 12 inch) slice pan then line with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang. This makes it easy to remove the slice from the pan once it is ready to eat.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Fold in the flour and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared slice pan and press into the corners.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until just starting to turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes. (Leave the oven switched on as you need it again.)
- Once the base has cooled, spread the can of caramel over the top then sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Neatly arrange the marshmallows over the slice so you will have one marshmallow per serving.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the marshmallows are softened and just starting to colour.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for an hour, then refrigerate until completely chilled, or preferably overnight.
- Remove from the pan, cut into pieces and serve.