Popcorn just got exciting.
I must admit that I’ve never been a huge fan of popcorn. When I do eat it, I prefer the butter or salted varieties instead of sweet. However now I’ve made this version I don’t think I will settle for butter anymore.
To make this I bought a packet of plain microwave popcorn kernels but cooked them in a large saucepan at the same time as the chorizo. That means the meaty spice of the chorizo is imparted onto every puffed piece of corn – yum.
If you don’t like chorizo then you could make this with bacon instead. Like a hit of chilli? Add a little chilli powder once the popcorn is cooked.
This is perfect for a snack whilst you are watching movies, or for a party with drinks.
I got the idea for this from a recipe that I found in the March 2014 issue of Taste.com.au magazine.
Ingredients – serves 2/3:
- 1/2 tbsp oil, olive or vegetable
- 1 chorizo sausage, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
1 packet (85g/3 oz) plain microwave popcorn kernels (if you can’t get plain then buy butter flavoured)
- a little salt, to season
- Put the oil and chorizo into a large saucepan for which you have a lid, then place over a medium-high heat on the stovetop.
- Cook the chorizo until just starting to colour, then add the garlic, oregano, a good seasoning of pepper and the plain popcorn kernels.
- Once the popcorn just starts to pop, place the lid onto the pan and cook until the popping sounds slow down.
- Remove from the heat and season with a sprinkle of salt to taste.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.