This salad is full of flavour.
This would be ideal for a light lunch or as a side dish for a BBQ. It is tasty, super quick to put together and the colours are so pretty.
The dressing I made for this dish was simply extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. The tartness of the vinegar works really well with the bacon. However if you have a favourite dressing from a bottle then that would probably be fine too.
Other adaptations could include adding button mushrooms or asparagus. You could use lettuce rather than spinach but it may wilt when you add the warm bacon mixture so be aware of that.
Ingredients – serves 4-6:
- drizzle of olive oil, for cooking
- 150g/5 oz bacon, diced
- 400g/14 oz can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette), quartered and diced
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 1/4 cup sweetcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 150g/5 oz baby spinach leaves
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Drizzle a little olive oil into a large frying pan. Add the bacon and cook for a minute over a medium-high heat.
- Add the lentils and zucchini to the pan, then season with black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Add the sweetcorn and toss until combined with the other ingredients. Turn off the heat and leave to sit for a couple of minutes.
- To make the dressing, put the extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar into a small jar and shake to combine, or whisk together in a small bowl.
- Place your spinach leaves onto a serving platter. Top with the bacon mixture, scatter over the cherry tomato pieces, then drizzle over the dressing.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!