These are much tastier than frozen packaged nuggets.
When my brother was little he went through a stage when the only thing he would eat for dinner was chicken nuggets. Making these reminded me of that time, and how we used to have a freezer full of them.
If you don’t like giving your kids (or husband…) packaged food then these are ideal. They taste better than the frozen version and you know exactly what is going into each bite. The best thing is that you can flavour them according to what your family loves. I used cumin and coriander to season the breadcrumbs but you could add dried herbs, chilli or curry powder instead.
They are also pretty versatile – they could be a snack, an appetiser, a meal (serve them up with chips 🙂 ), or even party food. Of course you must have your favourite sauce on the side for dipping. I used sweet chilli but BBQ sauce also worked really well.
Ingredients – makes about 28 nuggets:
- 500g/1 lb chicken mince
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs (or normal dried breadcrumbs if you can’t get panko)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Put the chicken mince and egg into a medium bowl and use your clean hands to mix.
- Form the chicken mixture into small balls (about 2cm/1 inch) and place on a plate. You should get about 28.
- On another plate, mix together the breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, cumin and coriander (or any other seasoning that you are using).
- Roll the chicken balls in the seasoned breadcrumb mixture to coat, then flatten each ball slightly to form nuggets. Place them onto baking paper on a plate. Repeat until all the nuggets are well coated in breadcrumbs.
- If you have time, refrigerate the nuggets for 30 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Transfer the nuggets to a baking tray, keeping them on their baking paper (as this will stop them from sticking to the tray).
- Cook for about 25 minutes, flipping them all over using a fork half way through that time. They are cooked when golden on both sides.
- Serve with your choice of dipping sauce.