Love cheese? Try this delicious warm dip.
With the 4th July rapidly approaching I know that a lot of my American readers will be busy planning their BBQs and family gatherings. If you aren’t sure what to make as an appetiser then perhaps this dip will suit.
I love it because of the gooey, creamy cheese combined with the classic pizza flavourings of salami, black olives and sun-dried tomatoes. Of course you can always substitute your own favourite pizza toppings instead.
This is the ideal party food as it takes 5 minutes to prepare and just over 10 minutes to cook. You do need to leave it to cool for about 10 minutes before eating it though – it will be too hot to serve straight from the oven, so please don’t do that.
The ingredients below will serve 4-6 people as an appetiser when teamed up with some crusty or ciabatta bread. (I used bread containing kalamata olives for extra flavour 🙂 ) If you need to serve more people then scale up the ingredients and the size of the ovenproof dish accordingly.
Ingredients – serves 4-6:
115g/4 oz mozzarella, diced into small pieces
- 115g/4 oz cream cheese, diced into small pieces
- 115g/4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 2 slices deli salami, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sliced black olives, finely chopped
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper, to serve
- fresh basil leaves, optional, to serve
- crusty or ciabatta bread, sliced, to serve
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F. Spray a 2 cup capacity, shallow ovenproof dish with cooking spray or grease with a little olive oil.
- Mix together your three types of cheese, sour cream, salami, olives, sun-dried tomatoes and oregano in the prepared dish.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the cheeses have melted.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes until cooled slightly.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and a few fresh basil leaves (if you have them).
- Serve with crusty bread pieces.