Pie is a favourite dinner in our household.
Pies are perfect for feeding fussy eaters – you can easily adapt fillings to suit pretty much any taste. Chicken is one of my favourites, especially on a cold winter day like it is here in Perth today. The addition of curry powder and potatoes really makes this great comfort food.
This does take a little bit of time to put together because you have to cook the filling separately and then bake the pie. You could make the filling a day in advance and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Tip – when you dice your potatoes and chicken, make sure that the pieces are small to ensure that everything cooks through.
Ingredients – serves 4:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 small potatoes (approx 400g/14 oz in total), peeled and diced into small pieces
400g/14 oz skinless chicken thigh meat, diced into small pieces
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed (my sheets are 25cm/10 inches square)
- Put the oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and potato pieces. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes until the potatoes start to pick up a little colour.
- Add the diced chicken and stir. Cook until the chicken pieces are sealed on all sides.
- Sprinkle over the curry powder, stir and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the coconut cream and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and cook for 12 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the frozen peas.
- Set the pie filling aside to cool for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F and grease a 20cm/8 inch pie dish.
- Line the base of your pie dish with one sheet of your thawed pastry.
- Spoon in the cooled chicken filling, then lay the remaining pastry over the top. Trim off the excess pastry, then seal by pressing a fork around the edges of the pie dish. Cut a small cross into the centre of the pastry to let steam escape.
- Bake the pie for about 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving.