Big juicy blueberries.
This slice is perfect to bake for a crowd as you can cut it into small bite-sized pieces without any trouble. Everybody will get a good amount of the delicious coconut frosting, and they might even get a whole blueberry if they are lucky.
I love recipes like this because it feels like you are getting a lot from a small amount of ingredients. If your family don’t like blueberries then you could substitute any kind of frozen whole berry, except perhaps strawberries (- you would need to chop them up first).
The coconut frosting is simply coconut cream and icing (powdered) sugar. You only need a couple of tablespoons of coconut cream, but if you don’t have any then substitute milk to make a plain frosting instead.
I adapted this from a recipe I found in the July 2014 issue of Recipes+ magazine.
Ingredients – makes about 40 pieces:
150g/5 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups plain (all purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup finely dessicated coconut
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup icing (powdered) sugar, sifted
- approx 2 tbsp coconut cream
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F and line a rectangular slice pan (approx 32cm x 18cm / 13in x 7in) with baking paper.
- Beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, coconut, bicarb of soda and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- Gradually add the milk. Mix until combined and smooth.
- Fold in the blueberries – they will leak a little bit of their colour into the batter but it doesn’t matter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and use the back of a spoon to level the surface, ensuring that the batter goes into the corners of the pan.
- Bake for approx 25 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of the slice comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the pan for an hour.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the coconut frosting, put the icing sugar into a medium bowl then gradually add the coconut cream, stirring until you get the desired consistency. Spread over the top of the cooled slice.
- Serve and enjoy!