A great combination of classic American flavours.
I’ve had a packet of brownie mix in my pantry for a while so I decided to do something a bit different with it. In the past I’ve made plenty of chocolate chip brownies, added dried fruits, and even alcohol – this time I picked peanut butter and strawberry jam. Yum!
These are a perfect way to cheat a little as your family will think that you’ve made them entirely from scratch. They don’t take long to bake either.
If the packet of brownie mix that you buy contains frosting then you can use it, but I quite like the appearance that the PB & J gives to the top of each piece.
Ingredients – makes about 30 pieces:
- 1 packet brownie mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- approx 6 teaspoons peanut butter (any type)
- approx 6 teaspoons your favourite jam/jelly (I used strawberry)
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F and line a rectangular slice pan with baking paper.
- Put the brownie mix into a medium bowl then stir in the oil and eggs until combined and smooth.
- Transfer the brownie batter to the prepared pan and, using the back of a spoon, smooth out into an even layer.
- Dollop the peanut butter randomly over the surface of the brownie mix. (I used dollops which were about half a teaspoon in size).
- Repeat the above step with the jam/jelly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until just firm in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into pieces and serve.