This is a great one-pot dinner.
Casserole is one of those dishes that really doesn’t photograph well so you’ll have to trust me that this tastes delicious 🙂 I love the creamy sauce and different textures of the vegetables. The combination of sweet and white potatoes really works well too.
I used sugar-snap peas and broccolini from my garden to make this recipe. You could use frozen vegetables instead if you don’t have fresh, or substitute other items such as normal peas instead. Mushrooms would also work well in this.
I cooked everything in my large cast-iron ‘french’ casserole pan. You can use any pan that is both flame- and ovenproof. Ideally you need a lid but you can cover the pan with aluminium foil as an alternative.
Some crusty bread is a perfect side dish as you can use it to soak up the sauce. Yum.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- approx 500g/1 lb chicken thigh meat, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 large white potato, cubed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup thickened (heavy) cream
- 1 large bunch broccolini
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 handfuls sugar-snap peas (or 1 cup frozen peas)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F.
- Put the oil into your pan and add the onion. Cook over a medium heat on the stovetop for a couple of minutes until the onion is just softened.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook, turning, until all sides of the chicken pieces are sealed.
- Add both types of potato and stir. Cook for a minute.
- Put the chicken stock, sour cream and cream into a jug and whisk to combine. Add this to the pan with the chicken & potatoes and stir. Bring to the simmer.
- Turn off the stovetop and cover the pan with a lid (or aluminium foil).
- Carefully transfer the covered pan to the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pan then add the broccolini and half the cheese. Stir then return to the oven for 20 minutes (uncovered).
- Add the sugar-snap peas, the rest of the cheese, as well as a good seasoning of black pepper. Cook for a final 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to sit for 5 minutes before serving.