Pink pizza. Why not?
This recipe is more about the base than what you use as a topping. I saw a photo of a beetroot pizza on Pinterest a while back and it inspired me to try something similar. I must admit that my base is nowhere near as brightly coloured as the Pinterest photo, but you could easily adjust that by adding more beetroot…
As the pizza dough included a serve of vegetables, I thought I would top my pizza with healthy things too – I used basil pesto, kale, spinach, parsley, feta cheese, broccoli flowers and avocado. Alternatively, pepperoni and piles of mozzarella would work well too 🙂
If you don’t like deep-pan pizza then split the dough in half and make two thinner crusts.
Ingredients – serves 4-6:
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 medium beetroot, peeled and grated
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- approx 3/4 cup milk
- your favourite pizza toppings
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F. Grease a pizza pan or large baking tray with a little oil or cooking spray.
- Put the flour into a large bowl and add the grated beetroot, plus a pinch of salt. Stir to mix.
- Add the olive oil and milk, then use a flat-bladed knife to bring the dough together. You may need a few drops more milk to combine all the flour, but don’t make the dough too wet.
- Place the dough onto the prepared pan and spread out to your desired size and thickness.
- Add your toppings.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the base is just getting a golden tinge around the edges.
- Serve and enjoy!