The classic combination of chicken and chips, but in a pie.
This recipe has helped me to discover that chips make a great topping for a tasty pie. You don’t have to use pastry, or go through the hassle of mashing potatoes 🙂
I actually very rarely eat oven chips – one of the perks of writing a recipe blog is that you have to cook something new every week and it usually doesn’t include chips. However, this pie may make its way onto our weeknight menu as it is very simple to put together.
Another thing I like is that this pie has very few ingredients – it is basically chicken, vegetables and chips. To keep the cost down, I used my supermarket’s own-brand of frozen mixed vegetables and added extra peas. (The photos don’t really show them so you’ll have to trust me that there are some green vegetables.) The grated cheese is an optional extra to make the sauce creamier.
I would say that this would feed 3 people, maybe 4, but you could always make a bigger version if you have more people in your household.
Ingredients – serves 3/4:
- 1 tbsp oil, olive or vegetable
- 600g/21 oz chicken thigh fillets, diced into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tbsp plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 400g/14 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup grated cheese, optional (I used cheddar)
- frozen oven chips to cover the top of your pie (approx 300g/11 oz)
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Put the oil into a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until sealed on all sides (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat the chicken pieces. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the stock to the pan and stir, then add the frozen vegetables. Bring the stock to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the chicken mixture to a deep oven-proof pie dish, then scatter over the grated cheese, if using.
- Put your frozen oven chips over the top of the chicken filling to form the pie ‘crust’.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until your chips are golden and cooked.
- Remove from the oven and leave to sit for 5 minutes before serving.