Super moist and super delicious.
This is one of my favourite bake-from-scratch cakes. I love it because it is easy to make and tastes amazing. It is so good that I don’t really think it needs decorating, even though I smoothered mine in some ready-made cream cheese frosting 😉
There is a big heap of grated carrots in this cake which gives it the perfect texture. However, the most important ingredient is extra virgin olive oil. I like to think that combination makes this ‘healthy’…
You do need a big cake pan to bake this in – I used a 23cm/9 inch pan, but you could even go up to a 25cm/10 inch if you have one. Don’t worry if you can’t eat it all at once as it will keep for 4-5 days in an airtight container.
Ingredients – makes a big cake:
- 2 cups plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 medium carrots, grated (you need approx 4 cups of grated carrot)
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F. Grease a 23cm/9 inch spring-form pan with a little oil or butter.
- Put the flour, sugar, chopped walnuts, bicarb of soda, vanilla and mixed spice into a large bowl and stir.
- Put the two types of oil and the eggs into a large jug and whisk.
- Mix the oil/egg mixture with the flour mixture until all the flour is combined.
- Stir the grated carrot into the cake mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and level the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 45 minutes then cover the top of the pan with aluminium foil. (This is to prevent the cake from over-browning.)
- Bake for a further 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out with moist crumbs attached when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pan for an hour.
- Remove from the pan and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate if you like. Cream cheese frosting works well with carrot cake, or use your favourite vanilla frosting instead.
- Serve and enjoy!