Super simple dip.
This dip is perfect for the upcoming party season because your slow cooker will do all the work. The only preparation required is to thaw a packet of frozen spinach 🙂
Another great thing about this is that you can adapt the flavour to suit your taste. For example, a finely chopped red chilli would give some spicy heat, or you could change the type of grated cheese according to your favourite flavour.
I made this in my small 3.5 litre/quart slow cooker and the ingredients below made enough dip as an appetiser for four people. Of course you can multiply the ingredients to suit the number of guests but, unless you are feeding a very large crowd, you will still need to make this in a small slow cooker.
You can make this even if you don’t have a slow cooker. Simply mix all the ingredients in an oven-proof dish then cook for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese has melted together.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 250g/9 oz packet frozen chopped spinach
- 250g/9 oz cream cheese (I used a block of Philadelphia)
- 1 cup grated cheese of your choice
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- crackers or crusty bread pieces, to serve
- Thaw your packet of spinach and then squeeze well to remove all the excess liquid. (You will be surprised how much it holds).
- Spray the bowl of your small slow cooker with cooking spray or grease with a little olive oil.
- Add the spinach, cream cheese, grated cheese, sour cream, garlic and a little black pepper to the slow cooker bowl. Stir to mix.
- Cook on low for 1 hour, then stir well to ensure you have no lumps of spinach.
- Cook on low for another hour until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Transfer the dip from your slow cooker to a serving bowl. If you are making a big batch, you might want to serve directly from your slow cooker bowl as the dip is best when warm.