This is a low fat version of pizza.
I’ve just come back from California where I noticed that flatbreads seem to be all the rage in a lot of restaurants, particularly on the lunch menu. It inspired me to create my own version, and I think it turned out pretty well 🙂
This is really an ultra-thin based pizza but without a heap of cheese on the top. The chicken breast strips are marinaded in salsa, then cooked on the flatbread along with chopped jalapenos and a little bit of cream cheese (as I couldn’t resist having cheese in some form!). I then dolloped on some sour cream and added coriander (cilantro) leaves. Chopped avocado would be another possible topping, if you have one.
Because the base is so thin, this dish is ideal to serve 4 as a very light lunch, or 2 for dinner.
Ingredients – serves 2/4:
- 400g/14 oz chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup your favourite salsa
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped jalapenos (I used jalapenos from a jar)
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat your oven to 220C/200C fan forced/425F.
- Put the chicken breast strips into a bowl and stir in the salsa. Put in the fridge to marinade for 30 minutes, or whilst you make the dough if you are short of time.
- Put the two types of flour into a medium bowl and stir in the dried oregano. Add the oil and water then mix to form a soft dough. If the dough doesn’t quite come together at first, add a few more drops of oil at a time until it does.
- Place the dough on a large piece of baking paper, then place another piece of baking paper on top. Roll the dough out until it is very thin (about 2mm). Discard the top piece of baking paper.
- Use a sharp knife to tidy up the edges of the dough to make a neat rectangle.
- Transfer the rolled out dough, still sitting on the baking paper, to a large baking tray.
- Scatter the chicken strips over the dough base, ensuring that there is only a single layer of chicken – don’t overcrowd it.
- Scatter the chopped jalapenos over the chicken, then put small pieces of the cream cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the flatbread is golden at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and leave to sit for 5 minutes before transferring to your serving platter.
- Drizzle over the sour cream and top with the coriander leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!