The taste of Christmas dinner in one bite.
These are really easy to make and, because of their size, you get a lot of tasty food from not a lot in the way of ingredients. The turkey and stuffing give you all the traditional savoury Christmas flavours, and then there is a burst of sweetness from the little cranberry pieces.
My husband has declared these the ‘perfect’ sausage roll and actually had to stop himself from eating half the batch in one sitting 🙂
If you can’t get turkey mince (ground), then you could use pork or chicken mince instead.
Ingredients – makes about 44 bite-size pieces:
- 500g/1 lb turkey mince (ground)
- 1 cup dry seasoned stuffing mix (from a packet, similar to Paxo)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed (my sheets are 25cm/10 inches square)
- a little milk, to glaze
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F and spray 2 large baking trays with cooking spray.
- Mix together the turkey mince, dry stuffing mix (straight from the packet), and chopped cranberries in a large bowl. You can do this with a large spoon, but I find it easiest to use clean hands as that gives a better mix.
- Place the thawed pastry sheets on your clean worksurface and join them together so you have a long rectangle.
- Divide the turkey mixture into two balls, then shape each into a long sausage shape. Place one sausage about 2.5cm/1 inch from the top edge of the pastry, and the other the same distance from the bottom edge of the pastry.
- Use a sharp knife to cut right down the middle of the pastry horizontally, so each sausage sits on its own pastry strip.
- Roll each pastry piece to enclose the sausage. Press down the edge of the pastry log to ensure it doesn’t unroll in the oven.
- Cut each log into bite-sized pieces. You should get about 22 mini sausage rolls from each log.
- Place the sausage rolls onto your prepared baking trays, then brush each with a little milk to glaze.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.