Comfort food 🙂
Even though it is summer where I live, this is a great weekend meal for the family. The slow cooker can bubble away all day without heating up your house, which is perfect if you are trying to stay cool. On the other hand, if it is winter where you live, there is nothing like a big bowl of chili.
Beef ribs are something that I don’t often cook, but I saw them on special at the supermarket last week. They work perfectly in the slow cooker as the fat melts away and you can easily pick out the rib bones before serving.
I made this using individual spices but if you have a favourite supermarket chili spice packet then by all means substitute it if you prefer.
This works in a 6 litre/quart slow cooker.
Ingredients – serves 6:
- approx 1kg/2 lbs beef short ribs (they may be called spare ribs)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 jalapenos, finely sliced, plus 1 extra, finely sliced, to serve
- 800g/28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 400g/14 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g/14 oz can mixed beans, drained and rinsed (I used a 3 bean mix)
- 1/2 cup smoky barbeque sauce
- 400g/14 oz can sweetcorn kernels, drained
- 1 medium green capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- corn chips and sour cream, to serve
- Spray your slow cooker bowl with a little cooking spray.
- Place a large non-stick pan over a medium-high heat and brown the beef ribs in batches. They should be golden on each side, which will take a few minutes. Once browned, transfer to the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Put the sliced onion into the pan and add the spices. Cook for a few seconds until fragrant, then add the canned tomatoes and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Bring the tomatoes to a simmer then turn off the heat. Carefully transfer the tomato mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the can of kidney beans plus the sliced jalapenos to the slow cooker. Use tongs to mix everything together a little.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add the can of mixed beans and the barbeque sauce to the slow cooker. Stir then cook for a further 2 hours on low.
- Add the sweetcorn and the capsicum (bell pepper) then cook for a further hour on low.
- Turn the slow cooker off and leave to sit for 15 minutes. Use tongs to pick out the rib bones at this point.
- Serve the chili topped with some finely sliced jalapeno, a big dollop of sour cream and a good handful of corn chips.