This has got to be the world’s easiest home-made ice cream.
You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker and no churning is required. If you have an electric mixer or whisk, this will take just a couple of minutes then it is ready to go into the freezer. (No electric whisk? A little muscle power is all that is needed 🙂 )
Of course you don’t have to stick to plain vanilla – feel free to add any flavouring that you like. You could even scatter over some candy, or add left-over Christmas cake.
This would also make a perfect base for a sundae or ice cream cake.
I found this recipe in the January 2015 issue of Super Food Ideas magazine.
Ingredients – makes 1 litre/quart:
- 400g/14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 600ml/2.5 cups thickened (heavy/double) cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- Pour the condensed milk and cream into a large bowl (or the bowl of your electric mixer).
- Split the vanilla bean lengthways using a small knife then scrape the seeds into the bowl.
- Whisk the cream mixture until soft peaks form.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2 litre/quart plastic tub. Put the lid on the tub, or cover with cling wrap, then freeze for at least 4 hours (or overnight).
- Remove from the freezer and leave at room temperature for at least 5 minutes to soften slightly.
- Serve and enjoy!