Tomorrow (26th January) is Australia Day so I thought that I would make a traditional recipe with a bit of a twist. Lamingtons are usually cubes of sponge cake dipped in a thin layer of chocolate and covered in coconut. However I found a recipe in my supermarket’s free magazine, (Woolworths ‘Fresh’, Jan/Feb 2015 issue), and thought it sounded a much easier option so I adapted it to suit what I had in the pantry.
The resulting cupcakes really are delicious – rich and chocolatey with a nice jammy surprise in the centre. The coconut also adds to the texture of the cake itself.
I used ready-made chocolate frosting to decorate my cupcakes but you could make your own chocolate ganache or buttercream if you prefer. The ready-made stuff works perfectly well though.
Click here for more Australia Day recipes 🙂
Ingredients – makes 12:
- 125g/4.5 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup finely dessicated coconut, plus extra for decorating
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 teaspoons raspberry jam
- approx 6 tbsp ready-made chocolate frosting
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F and line 12 holes of a muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, bicarb of soda, cocoa powder, coconut and milk to the bowl and stir until just combined.
- Divide half the chocolate batter between your 12 cupcake papers.
- Dollop half a teaspoon of jam on top of the batter in each of the cupcake papers.
- Divide the remaining chocolate batter between the papers. They wil be quite full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the the cupcakes are springy when touched lightly in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, spread the top of each of them with a little chocolate frosting, and then sprinkle over a little extra coconut.
- Serve and enjoy!