Fried rice doesn’t have to be Chinese.
I really fancied some fried rice for dinner over the weekend but I didn’t have any of the traditional ingredients like prawns, pork or chicken. So I decided to be a little different by using the items I did have – chorizo, red onion and green capsicum (bell pepper).
Fried rice always works best if your rice is cooked and cold before you fry it. You therefore need to be a little prepared if you want this for dinner by cooking the rice at least an hour in advance. I used basmati rice (as that is what I had), but white medium- or long-grain rice would work just as well.
Of course you can add extra items to this dish according to what you like. Sliced olives would be an example.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 1 cup basmati rice (or medium- or long-grain white rice)
- 2 cups water
- 1 chorizo sausage (about 125g/4 oz), thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small green capsicum (bell pepper), finely diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
- 1 long red chilli, optional, de-seed and finely diced
- handful fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Put the rice and water into a medium saucepan, cover with a lid then put over a high heat on the stovetop. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave the pan to sit with the lid on for 15 minutes. Use a fork to transfer the cooked rice to a large bowl to cool.
- Put the sliced chorizo and onion into a large frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the chorizo starts colouring.
- Add the green capsicum and cook for a minute, then add the rice and the olive oil. Stir or toss well to mix the chorizo and vegetables with the rice.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until the rice is warmed through and has picked up the flavours from the chorizo and onion via the oil.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and chilli to the pan and toss to mix, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Transfer to your serving bowl and add the fresh basil leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!