All the classic burger flavours in a salad.
If you are looking for something different to have for lunch or as part of a BBQ meal, this salad might suit. It is really easy to make and delicious. I especially love the variety of textures that it has.
I made very simple mini beef patties using just the mince (ground) straight from the package without any seasoning or onion etc. If you did want to add onion to the salad then I think it would be best to add thinly sliced red onion to the salad leaves rather than trying to put it in the patties as they are so small.
The salad leaves that I used came with grated beetroot and carrot included in the bag. Beetroot is a common inclusion in burgers here in Australia 🙂 It might sound odd, but it tastes great.
I made my own garlic aioli as a dressing but feel free to use your favourite burger sauce or salad dressing instead.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 400g/14 oz beef mince (ground)
- 100g/3 oz bacon, diced
- 2 thick slices ciabatta bread, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- approx 180g/6 oz mixed salad leaves (my salad included grated beetroot & carrot)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup grated cheese
Simple Aioli – optional:
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Form the beef mince into small patties by first making meatballs and then flattening them slightly.
- When all the beef has been made into patties, place a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat on the stovetop and cook the patties for a few minutes on each side until browned and cooked through. Remove the patties from the pan and set aside on a plate to cool slightly.
- Add the diced bacon to the pan and cook for a few minutes until just golden. Transfer to the plate with the cooked burger patties.
- Add the torn ciabatta bread to the pan and drizzle over the olive oil. Toss the bread and cook for a minute or so until just turning golden. The bread will also pick up the burger and bacon flavours from the pan. Turn off the heat and leave the bread in the pan to cool slightly.
- Put half your salad leaves onto a large serving plate. Scatter over half of the burger patties, bacon, tomato, cheese and bread pieces.
- Repeat the salad layering with the remaining ingredients.
- To make the simple aioli, mix together the mayonnaise, extra virgin olive oil and the garlic.
- Dollop your aioli or other sauce/dressing over the top of the salad.
- Serve and enjoy!