This is a perfect way to use left-over BBQ sausages.
Finding alternatives to sandwiches for lunch can sometimes be a challenge. However it is easy to make a tasty tart with lots of different topping possibilities. Just think of this as a pizza without cheese.
I used herb & garlic flavoured beef sausages to make my tart but any type of sausages would work equally as well, even chorizo. You can cook your sausages just before building the tart, or use left-overs from your BBQ. If you don’t like zucchini (courgette), or they are out of season where you live, then you can substitute mushrooms or capsicum (bell peppers).
My pastry sheet was 25cm/10 inches square.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 tbsp tomato pesto or paste
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette), halved and thinly sliced
- 4 sausages, cooked and thinly sliced
- olive oil, to drizzle
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F. Spray a large baking tray with a little cooking spray.
- Place your thawed pastry sheet onto the prepared tray. Use a sharp knife to score a thin border around the edges of the pastry sheet – don’t cut all the way through the pastry. Prick the area inside this border with a fork.
- Spread the tomato pesto/paste over the area of the pastry within the border.
- Pile the sliced zucchini and sausages on top of the pastry (within the border).
- Drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and cooked.
- Cut into quarters and serve.