This is a cross between French toast and Bread & Butter Pudding.
The inclusion of sliced deli ham and also herb soft cheese really packs flavour into this dish. I used plain white bread and it soaked up all the eggy goodness resulting in a creamy texture. Yum 🙂
You could easily substitute sliced bacon or grated cheese if those are what you have. Other types of bread would work too, but don’t cut the slices too thick.
I made this in a 4 cup capacity oven-proof dish which was quite shallow. If you use a larger dish and multiply the ingredients, remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly to be sure the eggs in the middle of the dish get cooked through.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 6 slices white bread
- butter or margarine to spread on the bread
- 6 thin slices deli ham, halved
- 80g/3 oz herb-coated soft cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F and spray an oven-proof 4-cup capacity dish with a little cooking spray.
- Spread the bread with the butter, then cut each bread slice into quarters diagonally so you end up with little triangles.
- Place the bread pieces into the prepared dish, alternating with pieces of ham and small chunks of cheese. Repeat until you have filled the dish.
- Put the eggs, milk and a good seasoning of black pepper into a jug then whisk to combine. Pour this mixture evenly over the top of the bread in the dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the egg mixture is cooked through. Remember to check the middle of the dish as this will take longer to cook than the edges.
- Serve and enjoy!