This cake is super simple.
I love making cakes which look and taste like I’ve spent hours in the kitchen – but which actually require me to make minimal effort. This recipe requires only 5 ingredients and takes 5 minutes to mix. It also doesn’t take long to bake.
The combination of apple and cinnamon is a classic, and this cake is full of those delicious flavours. The apple slices are the perfect texture and they make the cake very moist.
I used a Betty Crocker vanilla cake mix which came with ready-made frosting in the pack. The frosting is an added bonus but if you have a box of cake mix without it then don’t worry – some sieved icing (powdered) sugar over the top of the cake would work equally as well, or just serve the cake as it is 🙂
Ingredients – serves 8-10:
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (with ready-made frosting if you can get it)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 400g/14 oz can apple slices (- the can might be labelled ‘pie fruit’)
- approx 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F.
- Spray a 23cm/9 inch spring-form pan with a little cooking spray.
- Put the vanilla cake mix and the cinnamon into a medium bowl then stir to combine.
- Drain the can of apple slices, capturing the liquid from the can in a measuring jug.
- Add enough milk to the measuring jug to make the total liquid up to 1/2 cup. (How much milk you will need will depend on how much liquid is in your can of apple slices.)
- Add the milk mixture and eggs to the bowl and stir until you have a smooth batter.
- Fold the apple slices through the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and then bake for 28-30 minutes, or until the cake is golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Turn the cake out of the pan and place onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place onto your serving plate and decorate the cake with the ready-made frosting from the pack, if you have it.