Bookmark this recipe until you have holiday left-overs….
Sometimes left-overs can be a major issue – they sit around in the fridge for days because everybody has already eaten enough at the ‘first sitting’. However, this turkey and bacon macaroni is so creamy and delicious that I guarantee it will be devoured.
This recipe is also very quick and easy to make. I specifically designed it so you don’t have to spend hours shopping or chopping 🙂 The macaroni doesn’t need pre-cooking either.
You can use either white or dark turkey meat for this – just ensure that you pick out any bones. Feel free to use chicken, pork or even beef instead of turkey, and ham instead of bacon. You could also throw in some left-over peas or roast pumpkin if you have it.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- approx 500g/1 lb cooked turkey meat, chopped
- 150g/5 oz cooked bacon, diced
- 2 cups dried macaroni elbows
- 125g/3.5 oz low-fat cream cheese, diced
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 heaped teaspoons wholegrain (or Dijon) mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus a little extra
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F.
- Spray an ovenproof dish with a little cooking spray. (The dish I used was a 30cm/12 inch oval, which is about 5cm/2 inches deep.)
- Put the turkey, bacon and macaroni into the dish and stir to mix.
- Scatter the diced cream cheese over the macaroni mixture.
- Put the milk, water, mustard, oregano and a good seasoning of black pepper into a jug and then whisk to combine.
- Pour the milk mixture over the macaroni in the dish.
- Scatter the grated cheese over the top, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Push any visible macaroni back into the liquid and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Scatter a little extra cheese over the top, then bake for a final 15 minutes or until the macaroni is tender.
- Remove from the oven and leave to sit for 5 minutes before serving.