Happy New Year!
If you are looking for a lighter version of a burger then these little sliders are ideal. They are made of low-fat chicken mince and are packed full of Mediterranean flavours thanks to some basil pesto and black olives. It is a gourmet lunch but with only 5 ingredients!
You can make the slider patties in advance if you want but they literally take a few minutes to prepare. They are also very quick to cook – under 10 minutes, which is the time it will take to bake your garlic bread.
Of course this recipe is fully adaptable. You can change the type of meat that you use – turkey, pork or beef would also work – or leave out the olives, or change the flavour of the pesto. If you don’t like garlic bread then use herb bread or small rolls instead. You could also make bigger patties to eat as normal burgers with garlic ciabatta.
We ate each of our sliders on one piece of garlic bread, (like a tiny open-faced burger), but if you want to make traditional enclosed sliders then you will probably need 2 loaves so you have enough pieces of garlic bread.
Ingredients – serves 4 for lunch:
- 500g/1 lb chicken mince (ground)
- 2 tbsp basil pesto (from a jar is fine)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped pitted black olives
- 1 or 2 loaves garlic bread, preferably baguette style (1 loaf for open sliders or 2 for enclosed sliders)
- small green salad leaves, to serve
- Put the chicken mince, pesto and finely chopped black olives into a medium bowl then use your clean hands to mix.
- Form the chicken mixture into small patties and place on a plate. You should get about 16 patties from this amount of chicken. Once all the patties are formed and on the plate, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes (or overnight if you want to prepare in advance).
- Heat your oven and cook your garlic bread according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile place a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook your chicken patties until golden all over and cooked through. This will take about 6-8 minutes – you may need to cook two batches as it is best not to overcrowd your pan too much.
- Serve the chicken sliders with small green salad leaves and the garlic bread. Your guests can assemble their sliders themselves or you can do it for them.