These are much easier to make than you would think 🙂
I realised at the weekend that I haven’t made cupcakes since last Australia Day. This year I decided to combine two Australian classics – Lamingtons and Pavlova. One of my friends has nicknamed these ‘LamPavs’.
Don’t worry if you aren’t confident with baking. The cupcakes are made from a packet cake mix with a couple of added ingredients, and the ‘pavlova’ frosting is a very simple meringue. And no, I didn’t use a blowtorch to brown the tops of the meringue – I just put the cupcakes under my oven’s grill/broiler!
If you don’t like coconut then you can easily leave it out of the cake batter.
Ingredients – makes 12 cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 packet (340g/12 oz) chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup finely desiccated coconut, plus a little extra to decorate
- 12 frozen raspberries
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan forced/350F and line 12 holes of a muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- In a jug, whisk together the oil, milk, sour cream and egg.
- Place the cake mix into a medium bowl and stir in the desiccated coconut.
- Add the liquid from the jug and then mix with a fork until smooth.
- Carefully divide the batter between the cupcake papers in the pan, then press a frozen raspberry into the centre of each cupcake.
- Bake for approximately 20-22 minutes – the time taken will depend on the depth of the cupcake papers that you are using. They are cooked when a skewer inserted into one of the centre cakes comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the pavlova frosting, whisk the egg whites in a very clean bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and keep whisking until the meringue is smooth and glossy. Tip: rub a little of the meringue mixture between two fingers – if you can feel sugar grains then you need to keep whisking.
- Pipe (or spoon) the meringue onto the top of the cupcakes, then sprinkle over a little extra desiccated coconut.
- Carefully place the cupcakes onto a baking sheet and place under your oven’s grill/ broiler for a minute or so, until the coconut is golden brown. You must watch the cupcakes very carefully as the coconut will burn quickly.
- Remove from the grill/broiler and place on your serving plate. Leave for 5 minutes to cool before serving.