A cooked breakfast with no fuss.
This is one of the easiest cooked breakfasts that I’ve made. Everything goes into the oven in one pan, including the toast, and cooks together in about 15 minutes. It is ideal for a weekend when you would like a big hearty start to the day but without any mess.
I used one can of baked beans and one can of mixed beans (with no sauce) to make my dish, but you could use two cans of baked beans if that is what you have. Other possible adaptations include adding some sausage, or replacing the bacon with mushrooms if you want to go vegetarian.
You will need a frying pan or sauté pan which is able to go in your oven. If you don’t have anything suitable, you’ll have to cook the bacon first and then change to an ovenproof dish.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 150g/5 oz diced bacon (I used ‘lardons’)
- 400g/14 oz can baked beans
- 400g/14 oz can three bean mix, drained and rinsed (or use whatever canned beans you have)
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 4 eggs
- 3 slices bread
- butter or margarine to spread on the bread
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Put the diced bacon into your ovenproof pan and cook on the stovetop until just turning golden. Remove from the heat.
- Add the beans, tomato ketchup and BBQ sauce to the pan with the bacon and stir to mix.
- Spread the beans into an even layer in the pan, then make four small indentations. Crack an egg into each indentation.
- Spread the bread with butter or margarine, (- make it a good thick layer), then cut the bread diagonally into quarters. Place the bread around the edge of the pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Serve and enjoy!